Underwriting Assistant/Senior Underwriting Assistant
Under the supervision of the Underwriter Manager, and within guidelines established in the NIAC/ANI underwriting manual, the Underwriting Assistant/Senior Underwriting Assistant provides technical and clerical assistance to the Underwriters in the areas of application entry, rating, preparing quotes, renewal underwriting, issuing policies, marketing, and interacting with brokers. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required but are not all inclusive.
- A personal commitment to providing Inspired Service in every internal and external client engagement
- Provide customer service by responding promptly and courteously to all requests for information
- Effectively communicate company standards, mission, underwriting guidelines, and requirements to brokers and/or members.
- Process incoming new applications.
- Accurately issue new and renewal policies.
- Order and review of inspection reports.
- Process endorsements within authority level. Refer any endorsements exceeding authority to Underwriter.
- Process renewal quotes for multiline policies up to assigned Authority Level. Refer any quotes exceeding authority to underwriter.
- Training/Mentoring: Provides training and mentoring for other members of the Insurance Operations team when required.
- Develops amicable working relationships with underwriters/agents and handles some agent special service requests.
- Provide assistance and make inquiry of brokers regarding endorsements and renewals.
- Rate all lines of new business and renewal business as assigned or directed by underwriter.
- Process broker and member information changes such as address changes, phone, email, etc.
- Provide accurate documentation in the file and/or in electronic notes of underwriting thought process.
- Miscellaneous tasks – Any and all assignments related to the insurance operations department as requested by the Underwriting Manager or Vice President of Insurance Operations.
- Must possess a moderate understanding of property and casualty insurance coverages; familiarity with ISO commercial class codes is required.
- Knowledge of underwriting principles and processes is required.
- Solid mathematical aptitude
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and within a team environment as needed
- Basic to intermediate skills with Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point.
- Candidate should be organized and able to multi-task, provide follow-up and manage a significant book of business.
- Strong customer service skills and a professional attitude are required.
- Candidate should posses excellent written and verbal communication skills, and sharp attention to detail.
- Assist with training and development of less experienced staff.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to bend and/or reach or sit for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment
- The employee must occasionally lift/and or move up to 10-20lbs
- Must have adequate vision (with corrective lenses if needed) to clearly view computer screen
- Must have adequate hearing to perform job tasks.
- 3 to 5 years related work experience as Commercial CSR or Underwriting Assistant or Senior Underwriting Assistant preferred.
- Experience in a multi-state and multi-line commercial insurance environment preferred.
- 4-year degree strongly preferred.
- AI, AINS and/or AU designations or other insurance curriculum preferred..
If you are interested in applying for a position, please submit your resume and a cover letter that tells us why you want to work for AMS, a member of the Nonprofits Insurance Alliance Group via email at email@example.com or fax at 831-621-6090.
Reporting to the Senior Underwriting Manager, the Underwriting Manager is accountable for leading and managing the performance of a team of underwriting professionals and managing all services for our brokers. Responsibilities in this role include but are not limited to:
- Effectively communicate company standards, mission, underwriting guidelines, and requirements to brokers, members and staff.
- Ensure that all rules, procedures, and referral guidelines are properly followed by team members for all lines of business, for reinsurers and for programs administered for other carriers.
- Advise team members on complicated risks and approve underwriting decisions on risks exceeding their authority.
- Ensure adequate staffing is present each day to meet production needs and that each staff member has an appropriate workload on a day-to-day basis.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of a small team.
- Establish annual goals and conduct annual performance evaluations for team members.
- Actively develop, coach and train team members.
- Report team underwriting results to Senior Underwriting Manager as requested.
- Act as backup for team members, as needed.
- Conduct regular file audits of team members to ensure compliance with underwriting and documenting standards.
- Conduct broker, member and prospective member visits as needed.
- Other duties as assigned or requested by the Senior Underwriting Manager.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Strong technical commercial underwriting knowledge and skills. Thorough understanding of coverages, rules, CLM, rating and regulatory requirements in a multi-state environment.
- Results-oriented, self-motivated problem solver.
- Excellent verbal, written and active listening communication skills.
- Consistent internal and external customer service focus.
- Demonstrated team building and leadership skills
- Capacity to successfully manage multiple tasks.
- Proficient with Word, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet.
- Ability to delegate appropriately and maintain accountability in a fast paced environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to bend, reach or sit for up to 3 hours at a time.
- The employee must occasionally lift/and or move up to 10-20lbs.
- Must have adequate vision (with corrective lenses if needed) to clearly view computer screen.
- Must have adequate hearing to perform job tasks.
- 8 to 10 years multi-line commercial carrier underwriting experience required.
- 2 to 3 years managerial experience desired and/or strong aptitude/interest to lead and manage other professionals.
- A. or B.S. degree or directly-related equivalent experience.
- CPCU, CIC, ARM designations preferred.
If you are interested in applying for a position, please submit your resume and a cover letter that tells us why you want to work for AMS, a member of the Nonprofits Insurance Alliance via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 831-621-6141.